Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thursday, September 25 - Bad Mistake

 


   I still visit him sometimes. I go to the animal shelter and sit there for hours just petting him and brushing him. The day we gave him up was the worst day of my life. It will go down in history as the worst mistake I have ever made. My cat, Fluffles, was my best friend in the whole world. My mother, though, was deathly allergic to cats. She took allergy pills, but eventually, they stopped working. She was miserable all of the time. I tried to pick up every stray hair so that maybe she could handle the cat, but it didn't work. Two years after receiving Fluffles as a birthday present, I had to take him to the pound. We tried to find someone to adopt him so that we would know he was in good hands, but nobody wanted him. I tried everything from keeping him outside (which he did NOT like) and keeping him in my room (which I did not like).
   As I placed him in his cage, I kissed his fuzzy head one last time and placed his favorite toy in with him. I just hoped that he got adopted soon and doesn't have to spend eternity in a cramped little cage. I sprinkled a few of his favorite treats into his cage and closed the door. I didn't look back because of the tears that were threatening to fall. If I could do it all over again, I would have found a way to keep him, no matter what the consequences. But I do not have that option. One day, when I went to the pound to keep Fluffles company, I noticed that his cage was empty. When I asked the lady at the front desk where he was, she said that a lovely couple had adopted him just that morning. With a heavy heart, I went back home and continued on with my life. While I was extremely happy Fluffles had been adopted, It still hurt to know that I could never see him again.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you wrote this! It was so adorable but also very emotional and heart touching. I love it! There is absolutely no way to improve it! Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete